My job includes 4 main roles:
- Collation of departmental data for production of reports, e.g. Clinical School Biennial Review, NIHR Biomedical Research Centre Annual Report and Research Excellence Framework.
- Departmental Open Access representative; involves advising staff and students on complying with open access publishing policies and disseminating information from the University's Open Access Team.
Graduate Student Administration
- Process graduate student applications to the Department.
- Provide advice, information and support to graduate students (prospective and current) and their supervisors. Includes advising on visa applications & renewals; University Board of Graduate Studies policies & procedures, such as how to register as a student supervisor, first year assessments for PhD registration, student reporting, intermissions and deferrals of thesis submission; and providing pastoral care for students.
- Respond to requests for data and information from internal and external sources, e.g. Principal Investigators, the Board of Graduate Studies, the Higher Degrees Office, the Graduate School of Life Sciences, the departmental Management Team, departmental administrators, graduate student supervisors, current and prospective graduate students.
- Produce and maintain departmental graduate education handbooks.
- Act as departmental Student Disability Liaison Officer. This involves attending meetings with the University's Disability Resource Centre, keeping abreast of changes in policies and providing advice and support to students with disabilties.
Departmental Safety Officer
- Advise and assist Head of Department on University and Departmental Health & Safety Policy.
- Produce and maintain Departmental Safety Policy.
- Ensure efficient operation of the Departmental Safety Committee; includes acting as Secretary.
- Report accidents, incidents and near misses involving staff, students and visitors to the University Safety Office, to ensure we comply with RIDDOR.
- Lead safety audits (both internal and external) and return data for annual audits, e.g. chemicals, biological safety, laser and sealed sources.
- Ensure new members of the department, including visitors, are inducted in health & safety issues.
- Circulate health & safety information to all staff and students.
- Keep abreast of Health & safety laws.
- Attend necessary Health & Safety related training courses.
- Design and maintenance of the departmental website. Includes responding to website queries from both internal and external sources.
I also provide holiday cover for the Business & Operations Manager in management of the Central Oncology Administration Team.